Return to Easton's Main Index Nave's - Dothan Previous topic (Dorcas)
Dothan - two wells, a famous pasture-ground where Joseph found his brethren watching their flocks. Here, at the suggestion of Judah, they sold him to the Ishmaelite merchants (Gen. 37:17). It is mentioned on monuments in B.C. 1600.
It was the residence of Elisha (2 Kings 6:13), and the scene of a remarkable vision of chariots and horses of fire surrounding the mountain on which the city stood. It is identified with the modern Tell-Dothan, on the south side of the plain of Jezreel, about 12 miles north of Samaria, among the hills of Gilboa. The "two wells" are still in existence, one of which bears the name of the "pit of Joseph" (Jubb Yusuf).Next Topic (Dough)
|Contact us at|
|or, write us at P. O. Box 822 Warsaw, Mo 65355|
The operators of this site neither collect nor use any information from site visitors.